Healthcare in Finland
Finland public healthcare prices
Maternity and pediatric clinic visits, nurse’s office, laboratory and x-ray examinations: free of charge
Vaccinations: free if they are part of a nationwide vaccination program.
A visit to the doctor: The one-time payment is up to US$22.6 | €20.90. You may be charged up to three times per calendar year at one health center or an annual fee of up to US$45 | €41.80 per calendar year may be charged. In Helsinki visits to the doctor’s office are free of charge.
Emergency: Up to US$31 | €28.30
Payment for missing a doctor’s appointment (no-show): The fee is up to US$55 | €50.80 and can be charged to those over the age of 15.
Fee for a treatment series or physiotherapy: 11.6 EUR/treatment/session in Helsinki
Medical certificate: The medical certificate for a driving license costs US$53 - 66 | €49.2 - 61. Other medical certificates may cost up to US$56 | €51.50.
- Outpatient care (per visit) US$36 - 45 | €33.1 - 42
- Day surgery up to US$147 | €135.9
- Hospital day fee (per day) US$24.7 - 54 | €22.8 - 50
- Psychiatric daycare (per day) up to US$19.6 | €18.1
- Day or night care at the hospital costs (per day) up to US$24.7 | €22.80
If the total sum of healthcare fees paid during the calendar year exceeds the annual maximum of US$750 | €692, all other services included in the annual maximum fee will be free of charge for the rest of the year.
Private Healthcare Prices
- Doctor’s visit US$85 - 192 | €78 - 177
- Specialist Doctor’s visit US$133 - 260 | €123 - 240
- Basic blood test US$125 | €115
- Health check-up from US$101 | €93
- X-ray: from US$151 | €139
- Computed tomography (head) from US$335 | €309
- SMILE laser correction (1 eye) US$1233 | €1138
- Cataract surgery (one eye) US$2156 | €1990
- Rhinoplasty from US$4868 | €4493
- Physiotherapy (1 hour) US$87 | €80
Dental Care in Finland
Public dental care prices
Public dental care is free of charge for children under 18 years old.
Helsinki public dental care fees
- Oral hygienist US$8.8 | €8.10
- Dentist US$16.5 | €15.2
- Dental specialist US$33 | €30.20
- Preventive care US$7.4 | €6.80
- Local anesthesia US$7.4 | €6.80
- X-ray US$7.4 - 16.5 | €6.80 - 15.2
- Dental filling US$16.5 - 48 | €15.20 - 44
- Removal of dental calculus US$7.4 - 48 | €6.80 - 44
- Tooth removal US$16.5 - 33 | €15.2 - 30
- Dental examination: minor US$7.4 | €6.80
- Dental examination: basic US$16.5 | €15.20
Private dental care prices
- Basic dental examination US$79 | €73
- Dental X-ray US$38 - 112 | €35 - 103
- Dental filling US$99 - 197 | €91 - 182
- Dental calculus removal US$109 - 173 | €101 - 160
- Tooth removal US$115 - 332 | €106 - 306
- Dental implant from US$2492 | €2300
Adults have to pay for their prescribed medications until they have met the initial deductible of US$54 | €50 (alkuomavastuu), then many medications are eligible for partial reimbursement.
The reimbursement varies from 40% to 100% + US$4.9 | €4.50 fee.
Once you have paid US$628 | €579.78 for your medications during one calendar year, you only need to pay US$2.7 | €2.50 per each medication for the rest of the year. Please note this only applies to medications that are eligible for reimbursement.
Covid-19 testing in Finland
How much does it cost to do a coronavirus test in Finland?
PCR tests are free for Finnish residents if they have symptoms.
Free testing is not available for travellers, so you have to obtain a PCR test required for travel via private healthcare operators.
A PCR test costs about US$108 - 255 | €100 - 235 in private clinics in Finland.
The price of an antigen rapid test may vary US$42 - 152 | €39 - 140 + a certificate fee.
IgM antibody test prices start at US$87 | €80.
Check out koronatestihinta.fi website for more information on where to get a COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test with a certificate for travel in Finland: https://www.koronatestihinta.fi/
Covid-19 vaccines are free of charge for Finnish residents.
How much do face masks cost in Finland?
FFP face mask box (25pcs) price start at US$10.7 | €9.9 (US$0.4 | €0.4 per piece).
Face mask pack (50pcs) costs US$11.8 | €10.9 (US$0.2 | €0.22 for a mask).
NeSu protective face masks made in Finland (15pcs) cost US$7.5 | €6.9 (US$0.5 | €0.46 per piece)