Healthcare in Finland
Finland public healthcare prices
Maternity and pediatric clinic visits, nurse’s office, laboratory and x-ray examinations: free of charge
Vaccinations: free if they are part of a nationwide vaccination program.
A visit to the doctor: The one-time payment is up to US$25 | €20.60. You may be charged up to three times per calendar year at one health center or an annual fee of up to US$50 | €41.20 per calendar year may be charged. In Helsinki visits to the doctor’s office are free of charge.
Emergency: Up to US$34 | €28.30
Payment for missing a doctor’s appointment (no-show): The fee is up to US$62 | €50.80 and can be charged to those over the age of 15.
Fee for a treatment series or physiotherapy: 9.00 EUR/treatment/session in Helsinki
Medical certificate: The medical certificate for a driving license costs US$59 - 74 | €48.50 - 61. Other medical certificates may cost up to US$62 | €50.80.
- Outpatient care (per visit) US$40 - 50 | €32.70 - 41
- Day surgery up to US$164 | €135.10
- Hospital day fee (per day) US$47 - 59 | €38.80 - 49
- Psychiatric daycare (per day) up to US$27.3 | €22.50
- Day or night care at the hospital costs (per day) up to US$27.3 | €22.50
If the total sum of healthcare fees paid during the calendar year exceeds the annual maximum of US$829 | €683, all other services included in the annual maximum fee will be free of charge for the rest of the year.
Private Healthcare Prices
- Doctor’s visit US$79 - 189 | €65 - 156
- Specialist Doctor’s visit US$132 - 249 | €109 - 205
- X-ray: from US$143 | €118
- Computed tomography (head) from US$375 | €309
- Intra Lasik (both eyes) US$2223 | €1832
- Cataract surgery (one eye) US$1578 - 1820 | €1300 - 1500
- Rhinoplasty from US$9164 | €7551
- Physiotherapy (1 hour) US$97 | €80
Dental Care in Finland
Public dental care prices
Public dental care is free of charge for children under 18 years old.
Helsinki public dental care fees
- Oral hygienist US$9.8 | €8.10
- Dentist US$12.6 | €10.40
- Dental specialist US$18.4 | €15.20
- Preventive care US$8.1 | €6.70
- Local anesthesia US$8.1 | €6.70
- X-ray US$8.1 - 18.2 | €6.70 - 15
- Dental filling US$18.2 - 53 | €15.00 - 44
- Removal of dental calculus US$8.1 - 53 | €6.70 - 44
- Tooth removal US$18.2 - 36 | €15 - 29.8
- Dental examination: minor US$8.1 | €6.70
- Dental examination: basic US$18.2 | €15.00
Private dental care prices
- Basic dental examination US$83 | €68
- Dental X-ray US$35 - 62 | €29 - 51
- Dental filling US$104 - 211 | €86 - 174
- Dental calculus removal US$120 - 186 | €99 - 153
- Tooth removal US$119 - 267 | €98 - 220
- Dental implant from US$2670 | €2200
Adults have to pay for their prescribed medications until they have met the initial deductible of US$61 | €50 (alkuomavastuu), then many medications are eligible for partial reimbursement.
The reimbursement varies from 40% to 100% + US$5.5 | €4.50 fee.
Once you have paid US$704 | €579.78 for your medications during one calendar year, you only need to pay US$3 | €2.50 per each medication for the rest of the year. Please note this only applies to medications that are eligible for reimbursement.
Covid-19 testing in Finland
How much does it cost to do a coronavirus test in Finland?
PCR tests are free for Finnish residents if they have symptoms.
Travelers arriving in Finland by air are directed to a free Covid-19 test at the airport. However, free testing is not available for passengers leaving Finland, so you have to obtain a PCR test and a Fit2Fly certificate required for travel via private healthcare operators.
A PCR test costs about US$285 - 302 | €235 - 249 in private clinincs in Finland.
The price of an antigen rapid test may vary US$200 - 217 | €165 - 179 + a certificate fee. The cost of Covid-19 test may be up to US$364 | €300 per person at the airport.
IgM antibody test prices start at US$97 | €80.
Check out koronatestihinta.fi website for more information on where to get a COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test with a certificate for travel in Finland: https://www.koronatestihinta.fi/
Covid-19 vaccines are free of charge for Finnish residents.
How much do face masks cost in Finland?
FFP face mask box (20pcs) price start at US$36 | €30 (US$1.8 | €1.5 per piece).
Face mask pack (50pcs) costs US$18.2 | €15 (US$0.4 | €0.30 for a mask).
NeSu protective face masks made in Finland (15pcs) cost US$15.7 | €12.9 (US$1 | €0.86 per piece)