Healthcare in Finland
Finland public healthcare prices
Maternity and pediatric clinic visits, nurse’s office, laboratory and x-ray examinations: free of charge
Vaccinations: free if they are part of a nationwide vaccination program.
A visit to the doctor: The one-time payment is up to US$23.3 | €20.60. You may be charged up to three times per calendar year at one health center or an annual fee of up to US$47 | €41.20 per calendar year may be charged. In Helsinki visits to the doctor’s office are free of charge.
Emergency: Up to US$32 | €28.30
Payment for missing a doctor’s appointment (no-show): The fee is up to US$57 | €50.80 and can be charged to those over the age of 15.
Fee for a treatment series or physiotherapy: 9.00 EUR/treatment/session in Helsinki
Medical certificate: The medical certificate for a driving license costs US$55 - 69 | €48.50 - 61. Other medical certificates may cost up to US$57 | €50.80.
- Outpatient care (per visit) US$37 - 47 | €32.70 - 41
- Day surgery up to US$152 | €135.10
- Hospital day fee (per day) US$44 - 55 | €38.80 - 49
- Psychiatric daycare (per day) up to US$25.4 | €22.50
- Day or night care at the hospital costs (per day) up to US$25.4 | €22.50
If the total sum of healthcare fees paid during the calendar year exceeds the annual maximum of US$771 | €683, all other services included in the annual maximum fee will be free of charge for the rest of the year.
Private Healthcare Prices
- Doctor’s visit US$73 - 176 | €65 - 156
- Specialist Doctor’s visit US$123 - 231 | €109 - 205
- X-ray: from US$133 | €118
- Computed tomography (head) from US$349 | €309
- Intra Lasik (both eyes) US$2068 | €1832
- Cataract surgery (one eye) US$1467 - 1693 | €1300 - 1500
- Rhinoplasty from US$8523 | €7551
- Physiotherapy (1 hour) US$90 | €80
Dental Care in Finland
Public dental care prices
Public dental care is free of charge for children under 18 years old.
Helsinki public dental care fees
- Oral hygienist US$9.1 | €8.10
- Dentist US$11.7 | €10.40
- Dental specialist US$17.2 | €15.20
- Preventive care US$7.6 | €6.70
- Local anesthesia US$7.6 | €6.70
- X-ray US$7.6 - 16.9 | €6.70 - 15
- Dental filling US$16.9 - 49 | €15.00 - 44
- Removal of dental calculus US$7.6 - 49 | €6.70 - 44
- Tooth removal US$16.9 - 34 | €15 - 29.8
- Dental examination: minor US$7.6 | €6.70
- Dental examination: basic US$16.9 | €15.00
Private dental care prices
- Basic dental examination US$77 | €68
- Dental X-ray US$33 - 58 | €29 - 51
- Dental filling US$97 - 196 | €86 - 174
- Dental calculus removal US$112 - 173 | €99 - 153
- Tooth removal US$111 - 248 | €98 - 220
- Dental implant from US$2483 | €2200
Adults have to pay for their prescribed medications until they have met the initial deductible of US$56 | €50 (alkuomavastuu), then many medications are eligible for partial reimbursement.
The reimbursement varies from 40% to 100% + US$5.1 | €4.50 fee.
Once you have paid US$654 | €579.78 for your medications during one calendar year, you only need to pay US$2.8 | €2.50 per each medication for the rest of the year. Please note this only applies to medications that are eligible for reimbursement.
Covid-19 testing in Finland
How much does it cost to do a coronavirus test in Finland?
PCR tests are free for Finnish residents if they have symptoms.
Travelers arriving in Finland by air are directed to a free Covid-19 test at the airport. However, free testing is not available for passengers leaving Finland, so you have to obtain a PCR test and a Fit2Fly certificate required for travel via private healthcare operators.
A PCR test costs about US$265 - 281 | €235 - 249 in private clinincs in Finland.
The price of an antigen rapid test may vary US$186 - 202 | €165 - 179 + a certificate fee. The cost of Covid-19 test may be up to US$339 | €300 per person at the airport.
IgM antibody test prices start at US$90 | €80.
Check out koronatestihinta.fi website for more information on where to get a COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test with a certificate for travel in Finland: https://www.koronatestihinta.fi/
Covid-19 vaccines are free of charge for Finnish residents.
How much do face masks cost in Finland?
FFP face mask box (20pcs) price start at US$34 | €30 (US$1.7 | €1.5 per piece).
Face mask pack (50pcs) costs US$16.9 | €15 (US$0.3 | €0.30 for a mask).
NeSu protective face masks made in Finland (15pcs) cost US$14.6 | €12.9 (US$1 | €0.86 per piece)